Home » canine cancer » Recent Articles:

Minor Surgery

July 15, 2011 Fido 3 Comments

Argus had the tumor on his chest removed today. It just wouldn’t stop bleeding.While we certainly didn’t want to put Argus through more than he’s already suffered, we were having to change the bandages every couple of hours and it wasn’t going to get any better.

A lot of blood (his) and a lot of tears (mine) were shed yesterday.

Dr. Sutter was able to mildly sedate him and use a local anesthetic for the procedure. He suspects the tumor was a kind of hemangioma, which may or may not be cancerous (but probably is). He was not expecting so many blood vessels feeding the tumor and remarked about the number of clamps he had to use as well as the significant blood loss. Argus walked out of there looking like quite the wounded soldier — blood spatters everywhere and glazed eyes.

We’re happy to have him home with us again. His appetite seems good and he’s resting comfortably.


Argus Update: Still Going Strong!

May 12, 2011 Fido 2 Comments

Our last appointment with Argus was on March 9. That was the fateful day we learned the cancer had spread and we stopped the conventional treatment. The doctors told us that we could expect somewhere around two months with him. Their advice was to feed him as many hamburgers and ice cream as we can. *sigh* We are definitely being more lenient with the people food he gets, and we have continued with the homemade diet and myriad supplements that are [hopefully] slowing the cancer’s progress.

In April, we met with a “Wise and Wonderful” mobile vet, Dr. Martin, who will likely do the euthanization when the time comes. She came to the house to meet us all and did a full examination on Argus while she was here. Her assessment was this: “If you hadn’t told me Argus was sick, I wouldn’t have guessed it from the exam.” We were thrilled to learn that his lungs sounded good and his heart rate was well within the normal ranges, meaning he’s not in stress or pain.

Since that meeting about a month ago, there have been a couple of setbacks. He has begun coughing, but not every day. He can usually get it under control within a minute and the episodes don’t happen more than twice a day when they happen. He also seems to be in more pain. I think there is another bone tumor in his remaining front paw, based on the way he favors it similarly to what he was doing with the left one. Also, he isn’t interested in walking long distances. He wants to get out of the house, but is happy to sit down quickly in the car and at our destination. He gives stairs a second look before going down them — it may be time for the ramp again. Even so, I don’t believe that my dog is going to drop dead any day now. Maybe it happens that fast, but I don’t feel like he’s on his last leg (ha).

Here’s a day in the life:

6:15 AM – BREAKFAST
1/2 c cottage cheese + 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
4-5 oz homemade dog food with the following mixed in:
1 scoop DiGuPi
1 scoop wheat grass powder
1 teaspoon canine digestive enzymes
A few squirts of fish oil
3 krill oil tablets
10 mg prednisone
A little hot water to mix it all up

10 AM – SNACK
1/2 scoop vanilla ice cream with 4 Apocaps hidden in it

10:30 AM – USPS TREAT FEST
The mail carrier brings him three treats every day. He barks at her incessantly if she tries to get away with anything less than three treats.

1:00 PM – IMMUNITY BOOSTER
1 meat-flavored treat full of immunity-boosting ingredients

4:30 PM – HAPPY HOUR
The family unit heads over to the Bay Trail for a walk and a sniff. Argus isn’t interested in walking long distances these days, but he visibly enjoys sitting down and taking in the scenery.

6:00 PM – DINNER
1/2 c cottage cheese + 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
8 oz homemade dog food with the same mix-ins as at breakfast
12 oz raw meaty bone, like a chicken back or turkey neck

10 PM – BEDTIME SNACK
4 Apocaps, delivered via almond butter

Pill Party

December 1, 2010 Fido 1 Comment

Argus was not himself when he was on the pain medication. We bipeds can liken it to being on a heavy dose of Vicodin or Percocet. He was groggy and lethargic, appearing to be “drunk” or “high” most of the time — but not in the party-party-party kind of way. When Greg got home from North Carolina last Friday, Argus barely lifted his head to greet him. Those of you who know how much Argus LOVES Greg, you can attest that this proved the point of just how bad he feels.

We started weaning him back from the tramadol on Saturday and hoped it wouldn’t induce more panting, shivering, and crying during the night. I saw an instant change in his behavior and even, seemingly, his attitude. He started ”smiling” again and seemed eager to go outside with me. On Monday, I let him lead me on a walk and he took us 7 blocks before getting tired! We sat down for about 20 minutes to watch the world pass by and he was able to run home after that. We went out for a walk along the Bay that evening and snuggled in for more people watching, enjoying the sunset and a glass of wine.

The doctors at Davis on Tuesday suggested we stop the tramadol altogether and only give it on an as-needed basis. Fine by me! But now there are new drugs with the chemotherapy.

One of the unknown variables with chemo is how a particular dog will react to the potential side-effects. So many dogs I’ve heard about skate through with no side effects at all and the overall statistics are promising, so there is hope. Argus has an “iron stomach” that doesn’t get fussy with changing his food or when he eats something vile off the side of the trail. I realize none of this really matters when it comes to medication, especially strong drugs like those intended to fight cancer. But a mama can hope, right?

When Argus was doing so well upon coming home Tuesday evening, I was even more hopeful. He ate his dinner fervently, he took his role as Addy’s Protector very seriously, he settled easily on the couch… And then he lost it. Lost his lunch, as it were. The most unfortunate thing is that we were in an unfamiliar house with an even more unfamiliar back yard. He kept going in and out and I thought he just wanted to go home because he was loitering around the car. So I made him come inside and settle. About 10 seconds later, he puked on the floor right in front of the door. Thank goodness for tile flooring!

Let’s add even more drugs! This time, the anti-nausea variety.

After puking up the first one I gave him within a few minutes, I finally got another one in him and we had a reasonably restful night. I really hope he builds a tolerance for these drugs (is that possible?). I would hate for our chances at a few more months with him to be dashed because of his intolerance to the side effects.

Treatment Phase 2: Chemotherapy

December 1, 2010 Fido No Comments

After a long weekend with Greg home, Argus and I spent Tuesday in Davis. Our appointment was in the Oncology department and Argus also got his staples out. Our student surgeon from a couple of weeks ago, Ms. Bowles, came by to say hello when we checked in and Argus fully kissed-clean her face.

Reason with me: if a big guy like Argus doesn’t hold a grudge against the lady who cut his leg off, can’t we all strive for a little more understanding and peace?

I continue to be impressed with the care we are getting there. The oncology student, Ms. O’Hara, took us into a small room and explained that she would do a physical examination of Argus and then bring in her instructor (a professional veterinary oncologist) to discuss the treatment options. Ms. O’Hara was gentle with Argus and he was cooperative with her. He seems to endear himself to all of these people, which I somehow believe is a personal reflection on me and I am proud to take credit for his behavior. Of course, if he were a rotten dog and everyone groaned when we walked in, I would take none of the blame. Thank goodness I’m not having children, as I am pretty sure this behavior is frowned upon at parent-teacher conferences!

The situation is this:

  • Argus is a candidate for chemotherapy, as the cancer has not yet metastasized into his organs — yet. When it does, the lungs and liver will likely be the first to be hit.
  • I agreed to make Argus part of a study that might net us slightly more positive odds than the standard treatment option. The average prognosis for amputation + chemotherapy is 12 months. I will be as clear as the doctor was with me: 50% of dogs do not live for 12 months from the time of diagnosis and 50% live longer than 12 months. Not pursuing chemotherapy puts the hourglass at 4-6 months. We knew we would move forward with chemo if the price was reasonable.
  • The treatment we are pursuing as part of this study is alternating 3 doses of carboplatin and 3 doses of doxorubicin, 3 weeks apart, for a total of 6 doses. The cost per dose of each is $250. To treat Argus’ cancer with carboplatin from the specialist in San Mateo, it would cost $800 per dose. We are happy to be part of the study to get the same medication at such a reduced rate!

Caryn drove in from El Dorado Hills and met me at the clinic just as the consultation began. When the doctors took Argus for his tests and treatment, Caryn and I went on a brisk bike ride in the outskirts of Davis. We had a couple of hours to kill and I was thankful for the diversion to keep my mind off of all the decisions and worry. We were both bundled up in 3 layers of gear and the biting wind still chilled us to the core. Bright side: we can keep our training rides up through the winter since I’ll be in Davis every three weeks for the next four months!

When I retrieved Argus at 3 PM, he was a little groggy from the mild sedation. I am grateful it was nothing like it was when he was sedated for the cytology last month! He ran out to the car and hopped up by himself, alert most of the way home. Once we got home, he settled in the kitchen for his dinner and then retired to our bed — a first since the surgery! I had to leave right away to babysit for friends and he jumped at the chance to come with me. He spent several hours “protecting” a dear 18-month old girl by laying under her crib; I couldn’t get him to leave her. It was so sweet.

I am confident that the worst of the treatment is over (knowing, of course, that the worst is as little as 4-6 months and hopefully as long as 12+ months away). I feel so fortunate that UC Davis took our case and that the care we have gotten has been so professional and caring at the same time. Please, if you ever find yourself in a situation like this, I highly recommend checking out a veterinary teaching hospital. This was our “hail mary” attempt at being able to afford treatment for Argus and I’d make the same choice again hands-down (and would likely make the choice even if money were no object).

I also want to give a shout-out for our local vet, Dr. Sutter at Aragon Vet Clinic in San Mateo. He has called several times since we made the decision to take Argus to Davis for treatment to inquire about his progress. He continues to provide counseling and reassurance that what we are experiencing is “normal.” I appreciate how hands-on he has been through this process of diagnosis, referrals, and treatment.

Here is Argus’ incision with the 43 staples out:

Day 15 - Staples Removed

An Expensive Week

October 22, 2010 Fido 2 Comments

Last Friday, we were devastated when we learned why Argus was limping: there is a tumor on his left paw at the “wrist” joint. In 7 days, we have spent $1236 diagnosing the tumor and it has been confirmed as the worst kind of canine bone cancer – osteosarcoma.

We now know more about bone cancer than anyone outside of the veterinarian community should ever know. And we’re not alone. Osteosarcoma affects roughly 10,000 dogs each year and it occurs most prevalently in large breed dogs. It’s a terrible disease that quickly spreads and robs a dog of any chance for a long life. Here’s how our week unfolded:

We spent last Friday and Saturday in shock. We were so sad and weepy; it was all we could do to cling to each other and Argus. Greg researched a special cancer-fighting diet that he believes will help, so we ran errands together to pick up the necessary ingredients on Saturday afternoon. Dr. Sutter called to check in and answer any questions we may have since I was a disaster in his office on Friday. Greg appreciated being able to talk with him first-hand and have his questions answered directly rather than me trying to remember what I had been told. Sunday felt more like a normal weekend day with a road trip to Sacramento. Neither of us shed a single tear that day! My eyes finally de-puffed a little and I didn’t feel so desperate.

Monday, we were back at the vet’s office for more tests. Poor Argus gets nervous every time we pull into the parking lot. I wasn’t sure how long he’d have to be there, so I was “that doggy mama” who brought her own dog’s bed in with us so that he’d have something familiar with him all day. The nice people there smiled and politely obliged me; they deal with crazy pet people like me every day. He was a good boy and sat still for his full-body x-rays, ultrasound, and blood work without the need for sedation. I got the call from Dr. Sutter at noon. Good news! Nothing has spread (yet) and his blood work came back clean. I collected my dog and left the office $460 lighter.

The next step was to meet with the surgeon and oncologist on Wednesday morning. Greg attended this appointment with us. I was armed with pen and paper this time so that I could take notes and keep everything straight. This appointment lasted over 90 minutes and we were given several options (as we heard and understood them):

  1. Do nothing. Prognosis = a few months at best. Cost = pain medication
  2. Radiation. Prognosis =  several months probably. Cost = $8000
  3. Chemotherapy. Prognosis = average of 12 months. Cost $3000
  4. Amputation. Prognosis = average of 12 months. Cost $4000
  5. Limb Spare. Prognosis = average of 12 months. Cost $7000

I asked them both if there was any chance the tumor was perhaps a fungal infection instead. They agreed with Dr. Sutter that it was not likely, but could not entirely be ruled out. Unfortunately with a fungal infection, you can’t just treat it with antibiotics (but they appreciated my optimism).

I asked each of them separately what they would do if the decision was theirs to make. Both doctors said that Argus is a young and otherwise healthy dog. If we can save his leg, we should. Dr. Cadile, the oncologist, said that there are some studies indicating that leaving the primary tumor in place helps the body stave off metastases. Greg and I agreed: if all things are equal (cost and prognosis), let’s proceed with chemotherapy rather than amputation. It’s still a lot of money to spend in the hopes of getting one year with Argus, but one year is better than six months. The only thing left to do was to confirm that the mass is not a fungal infection, which could be done with a cytology. Dr. Banz estimated this at $60 + sedation. We agreed to move forward with this procedure. I hated the cloud of uncertainty hanging over us.

Greg left for work and I left Argus there for the procedure. When I picked him up a couple of hours later, he was a drunken sailor from the sedation medicine. He couldn’t walk a straight line and his back legs wanted to slide out from under him when we stopped for a few seconds. It would have been comical if it weren’t so tragic. I lifted him into and out of the car, then got him in the house and settled on our bed. His poor little tongue was stuck outside his mouth until I wet it and pried his jaw open to put it back in. He slept the afternoon away and finally came around enough to have dinner.

As it turns out, Wednesday’s meeting was a $453 misunderstanding. I got an email from the oncologist on Thursday morning that summarized everything we talked about. This letter indicated that chemotherapy is not a standalone treatment method, the prognosis with surgery alone is 5-6 months, and the prognosis with surgery + chemo averages 12 months. Furthermore, the exact cost of the chemotherapy drug Carboplatin was provided and the cost is $4800 (not $3000). We were back to square one. The cytology was a $233 (not $60) hail Mary that failed. The test came back as confirmed osteosarcoma. Our spirits were low last night.

My heart is broken that Argus is dying. I have additional heartburn because Greg and I are no longer on the same page about his treatment. With the new information in the summary letter, I believed that the cost is too great to amputate and/or pursue chemotherapy. Even doing nothing, the pain medication will cost us somewhere around $2000 if he lives six months. Greg has been adamant on pursuing amputation, even with its hefty price tag. I approached the subject via IM today, hoping to diffuse some of the emotions that are inevitable with this kind of conversation. The good news is that he finally agreed that spending $4000 (on top of the $1200 that we’ve already spent) is too much to only buy a few extra months with Argus. WHEW! That said, we also agreed to exhaust all possible options for a cheaper amputation facility.

I got in touch with the vet teaching hospital at UC Davis this afternoon and got some very good news. Their cost for the amputation surgery is $750 all-inclusive: two nights in the hospital, anesthesia, surgery, and pain medication (morphine) post-op. I tried to mask my amazement and delight when she revealed that number. Dr. Sutter agreed that this is a very good option for us to pursue and got to work on getting Argus’ records faxed to them. We will find out on Monday whether our case has been accepted. Our fingers and paws are crossed!

In the meantime, Argus and I went for a walk today and he seems in good spirits. He was excited when Greg came home from work and he still has quite an appetite, watching us intently as we prepare his dinner. I am relieved that his pain seems to be under control for the most part and things seem reasonably normal. Greg and I are getting ready to go out to dinner tonight and we feel much better and more hopeful than we did a week ago at this time.

If anyone has any other ideas for remedies pre- or post-amputation, please share them with me in the comments section!