Home » Fitness » Currently Reading:

The Great Rash of 2012

June 24, 2012 Fitness 2 Comments

I worked a trade show in Milwaukee a few weeks ago and I came home with more than just an appreciation for all things Bead&Button and tired feet.

I kept up with my workouts while I was there and saw I was getting a spot or two consistent with heat rash. No big deal, just a red spot where my sports bra rubs. It wasn’t alarming. In fact, you’d kind of expect it. It’s summer in the Midwest, after all. That means hot and humid outdoor runs.

And scenic outdoor runs! I had no idea how pretty Milwaukee is!

On the day I flew home from Milwaukee, I got in at noon and the training plan called for a 90-mile bike ride + a 13-mile run. We could run the 13 miles early on Monday morning if it wasn’t possible to fit it all in on Sunday. Uh, yeah. There was no way I’d be able to pull a 7-hour workout day after a week of long days, late nights, and an early-morning flight.

I did a 72-mile ride on Sunday and called it a day, and then got up on Monday morning to complete the 13 mile run before work. It hurt, every mile of it, but it also felt good. As the week progressed, I caught up on my sleep and kept up with my workouts. The rash spots that had surfaced in Milwaukee weren’t going away, despite my use of antihistamines and exfoliation products. In fact, the rash was spreading. Rampantly.

Within a week, I went from this:


To this:

Complete outbreak, getting worse every day. I have no idea what caused this.¬†Continuing to wear sports bras and spandex shorts certainly was not helping things, but a girl’s gotta train, right? I had not changed soaps, lotions, detergents, clothes/fabrics, or medications. I was taking Benadryl at night, which would put me to sleep for a couple of hours, but not help with the itching. I was slathering my most sensitive parts with Gold Bond Medicated Lotion day and night. I was wearing clothes that did not require a bra or underwear when possible.

Greg shudders and averts his eyes when I lift my shirt or drop my pants to show him.

I finally broke down and made an appointment with a doctor last Monday. She was not very helpful about explaining what it is — I had to ask for the diagnosis after she prescribed a bunch of meds. She said it is not a heat rash, and likely never was. It’s a dermatitis, which is the most generic explanation ever. She gave me a very strong dose of prednisone and Claritin and sent me away.

I have been taking the meds as prescribed, which are not helping. Nights continue to be the worst. I fall asleep from about 10 PM until midnight, then I wake up digging at myself and slather on more IcyHot-like lotions (Gold Bond, Sarna) to soothe the itching. This happens every hour or two until my alarm goes off at 5:50 AM. More workouts. More pills popped. More lotions. More loose-fitting clothes.

I tried to make an appointment with a dermatologist on Friday, but the one that came highly recommended to me was out of the office for the day. I think I *may* have turned the corner on the rash no longer spreading. I bought this stuff called Domeboro¬†and used it as a compress last night before bed. I think it helped calm things down, as I didn’t wake up as often or as uncomfortable.

It hasn’t been a fun couple of weeks with the rash, compounded by chafing from my bike shorts and long rides, compounded by unrestful sleep. As we head into the next long Build period of training, I am ready to put this behind me!


Currently there are "2 comments" on this Article:

  1. Mindy says:

    I’m pretty sure we will soon be calling on your computer illustration skills at Beadyo. So glad the Rashconsin has stopped spreading!

  2. […] went to a dermatologist on Tuesday about this pesky rash and she quickly diagnosed it as Pityriasis Rosea. We chatted awhile longer about how it had come […]

Comment on this Article: